public radio news & classical music 24 hours a day from houston, texas
Please select the station for your contribution:
Houston Public Radio's News Station — KUHF News is the trusted source for independent, thoughtful and in-depth news. KUHF offers international, national, regional and local coverage from the KUHF Newsroom, NPR, the BBC, and American Public Media. As other media outlets narrow their scope and reduce local coverage, we expand the breadth of local news and give voice to multiple perspectives. We know that local news and content informs, engages, and draws a community together.
Houston Public Radio's Classical Music Station — Classical 91.7 gives life to our city's cultural community, offering 24/7 classical music. Area artists and cultural institutions featured in regular concert broadcasts include the Houston Symphony, Houston Grand Opera, Houston Ballet Orchestra, Moores School of Music, Da Camera and many others.
- Houston Public Radio's two stations — KUHF 88.7 and KUHA 91.7 — are licensed to the University of Houston System, which operates them in the public interest as an outreach to the greater Houston community.
- Both stations are fully self-funded through gifts from individuals, businesses, corporations, other non-profits and foundations. Neither station receives funding from the University of Houston or the State of Texas.
- KUHF and KUHA are fully professional radio stations, certified by the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB).
- Both stations are members of National Public Radio, and both are affiliated with American Public Media (APM) and Public Radio International (PRI).
- KUHF News is broadcast on 88.7 FM (main channel) and 88.7 HD Channel 1.
- KUHA Classical is broadcast on 91.7 FM (main channel) and 88.7 HD Channel 2.
- Both stations are streamed world-wide on Internet radio stations KUHF News and KUHA Classical
- Program streams are also offered for iPhone/iPad applications.
- Studios and offices are located on the 3rd floor of the Melcher Center for Public Broadcasting, 4343 Elgin at I-45, at the University of Houston.
- $8.76 million in FY 2010
- 93% of that total comes from gifts from the community
- of that 93%, 45% ($3.97 million) comes from business and corporate program underwriting and 48% ($4.19 million) from individual member contributions.
- Federal assistance through the CPB Community Service Grant is 5% of budget, or $460,000.
- No financial support is received from the University of Houston or from the State of Texas.
- The Association for Community Broadcasting (ACB) is a separate 501.c.3 organization whose purpose is to raise money for both Houston Public Radio and Houston PBS.
- Houston Public Radio Radio and HoustonPBS (KUHT Channel 8) are separate organizations, with separate staffs and budgets. A gift to one is not shared with the other.
- Contributions and pledges Houston Public Radio may be designated to KUHF News, KUHA Classical or Both.
view the financial statement & auditor's report for the year: